There are a myriad of cat welfare issues:
- Backyard breeding / unlicensed home breeding
- Roaming pet cats
- High rise syndrome in cats (Fall from height)
Cats end up needing to be rescued due to the above issues, all of which are a result of ignorant or irresponsible acts by people. To address these issues we need to get to the root of the problem, which is further elaborated in the linked article for each cat issue above.
Rescuing is only a temporary “band-aid” solution. Many cat rescuers liken rescue and fostering to plugging holes in a sinking ship.
What are the long term, effective solutions to the cat welfare issues then?
- Stronger law enforcement on abandoners and backyard breeders
- Regulation of the pet industry
- Education and raising awareness
These are further elaborated in the linked article for each solution above.